Here you will find pdf versions of Weekly Power Points/Notes/Recordings/Seminar Tasks. Module Outline: MECS1000 Module outline 2018 to 2019 For Reading Links you will need your UW login
Assignment: Assignment 1 details (see Blackboard for examples of assignments)
Week 8: Class and Media
- PowerPoint: Class and Media
- Notes: Class and identity Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Class and Representations
- Reading Link: Hodkinson, P. (2011) Media, Culture and Society. London: Sage. (see pages 130-131).
- Audio Recording: Class identity and media
Week 7: Race and Representation
- PowerPoint: Race and the Media
- Notes: Race representation and the media
- Seminar Tasks: Race and representation seminar
- Reading Link: Barker, C. and Jane, E.A. (2016) Cultural Studies, Theory and Practice. London Sage. (See p.316 for Orientalism, pp.324-325 for post-race and p.341 for summary)
- Audio Recording: Race and representation
Week 6: YouTube and Music Videos
- PowerPoint: Youtube music videos and digital media
- Notes: YouTube and music videos NOTES
- Seminar Tasks: Questions relating to YouTube and reading and Questions relating to music videos
- Reading Link: Vernallis, C. (2013) Unruly Media, YouTube, Music Video and the New Digital Cinema, Oxford: Oxford University Press (see pages 127-135).
- Audio Recording: YouTube and digital media
Week 5: Semiotics and Tattoos
- PowerPoint: Semiotics and tattooing
- Notes: Semiotics and tattooing notes
- Seminar Tasks: Tattoos and Identity
- Reading Link: Mun, J.M., Jango, K. & Johnson, K.K.P. (2012) Tattoo and the Self. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal. Vol. 30(2), pp. 134-148.
- Quiz: semioticsandtattoos
- Audio Recording: tattoos-and-semiotics
Week 4: Semiotics
- PowerPoint: Semiotics
- Notes: Semiotics Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Semiotic analysis questions
- Reading Link: Branston, G. & Stafford, R. (2010) The Media Students’ Book. London: Routledge, (see pp.11-14).
- Reading Link: Bignell, J. (2002) Media Semiotics: An Introduction. Manchester: Manchester University Press. (see pp.32-39).
- Audio Recording: Semiotics – key ideas
- Video Recording: My video on Semiotics
Week 3: Genre, Gender and Disney
- PowerPoint: Week 3 Genre gender and disney
- Notes: Week 3 Genre, disney and gender NOTES
- Seminar Tasks:Week 3 genre gender and disney seminar
- Reading Link: Gillam, K. and Wooden, R. (2008) Post Princess Models of Gender: The New Man in Disney/Pixar. Journal of Popular Film and Television. Vol. 36(1), pp. 2-8.
- Reading Link:England, D. E., Descartes, M. & Collier-Meek, M.A. (2011) Gender Role Portrayal and the Disney Princess. Sex Roles. Vol. 64, pp. 555-567.
- Audio Recording: Genre gender and Disney
Week 2: Gender, Representation and the Media
- PowerPoint: week 2 gender and representation
- Notes: Gender representation and media Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Gender and representation tasks
- Reading Link: Richardson, N. & Wearing, S. (2014) Gender in the Media, Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan, pp.1-9.
- Audio Recording: gender-representation-and-the-media
Week 1: Media and Culture
- PowerPoint: Studying Media & Culture/Writing & Referencing
- Notes: What is media and culture/Writing & Referencing
- Seminar Tasks: Media and Culture/Writing & Referencing
- Reading Links: Danesi, M. & Berger, A.A. (2015) Dictionary of Media and Communications, Oxon, Routledge, (see p.83, 192 and 188).
- Audio Recording: Media and culture
- Video Recording: Writing and Referencing