Here you will find pdf versions of Weekly Power Points/Notes/Recordings/Seminar complete Module Outline: Module guide MECS3016 for 2018 to 2019
Week 12: Fan Cultures digital
- PowerPoint: Week 12 fan culture and digital media
- Notes: Week 12 Fan cultures and digital media Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Week 12 Fan cultures and digital cultures
- Reading Link: Fuchs, C. (2017) Social Media: A Critical Introduction. London: Sage (see the pages that have been digitised)
- Audio Recording: Fan cultures and digital media
Week 11: Goffman and Social Media
- PowerPoint: Applying Goffman and castells to social media
- Notes: Goffman castells and theorectical concerns notes
- Seminar Tasks: Goffman and social media
- Reading Link: Richey, M., Ravishankar, M.N. & Coupland, C. (2016) Exploring Social Media Posts. An Impression Management perspective. Information Technology and People. Vol. 29(3), pp.597-617 (see pages 599-600).
- Audio Recording: Goffman and Castells and social media
Week 10: (7th December) Social Media and Public sphere
- PowerPoint: Week 10 Online participation and democracy
- Notes: Media and the digital public sphere Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Public sphere and social media
- Reading Link: Jackson, J. (2017) Twitter accounts are really Echo Chambers, study finds. The Guardian [Online] Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/04/twitter-accounts-really-are-echo-chambers-study-finds [Accessed 6th November 2017].
- Reading Link: Barker, C. (2004) The Sage Dictionary of Cultural Studies. London, Sage. (See public sphere)
- Audio Recording: public sphere and social digital media
Week 9: (30th November) Uses and gratifications and social media
- PowerPoint: Social media users and responses
- Notes: Media users responses and associated theories
- Seminar Tasks: Uses and gratifications
- Reading Link: Sundar, S. S. and Limperos, A.M. (2013) Uses and Gras 2.0: New Gratifications for New media. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media. Vol. 57(4), pp. 504-525.
- Audio Recording: uses-and-gratifcations
Week 8: Facebook and Surveillance
- PowerPoint: Facebook, Surveillance and Power
- Notes: Facebook, Surveillance and Power Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Facebook and Surveillance
- Reading Link: Rushkoff, D. (2013) Why I’m Quitting Facebook. CNN. February 25th, 2013. Available at https://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/25/opinion/rushkoff-why-im-quitting-facebook/index.html [Accessed 30th October 2017].
- Audio Recording: Facebook power and surveillance
Week 7: Baudrillard and Social Media
- PowerPoint: Baudrillard and hyperreality
- Notes: Baudrillard and social media Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Baudrillard and social media seminar
- Reading Link: Hodkinson, P. (2017) Media, Culture and Society. London: Sage. (See pages 268-270 and pp.276-278)
- Audio Recording:Baudrillard Hyperreality & Social Media
- Video Recording: Baudrillard Educational Video
Week 6: Digital Advertising
- PowerPoint: History and business of digital advertising
- Notes: History of digital advertising notes
- Seminar Tasks: Digital Advertising
- Reading Link: Martinez-Lopez, J. (2017) A Review of Internet and Social Network Advertising Formats IN S. Rodgers and E. Thorson (Eds.) Digital Advertising, Theory and Research. Oxon: Routledge (see pages 374-376 concluding remarks).
- Audio Recording: Digital Advertising
Week 5: Digital and Direct Marketing
- PowerPoint: Direct and digital marketing
- Notes: Direct and digital marketing notes
- Seminar Tasks: Digital and direct marketing
- Reading Link: Chaffey, D. and Ellis-Chadwick, F. (2012) Digital Marketing. Edinburgh, Pearson Education Ltd. (see pages 531-533).
- Audio Recording: Mobile and digital marketing
Week 4: Marketing theories/Branding/Segmentation
- PowerPoint: Branding and social media and Market segmentation
- Notes:Marketing Theories and brands and Market segmentation Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Seminar tasks
- Reading Link:Yan, J. (2011) Social Media in Branding: Fulfilling a Need. Journal of Management, Vol. 18(9), pp.688-696.
- Audio Recording: Market segmentation and social-marketing-theories (branding)
Week 3: Marketing in an organisation
- PowerPoint: week 3 Marketing Concepts in organisations and Week 3 7 steps
- Notes: Marketing concept in the organisation Notes and 7 Steps in Social Media Marketing Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Seminar Tasks The Marketing Mix
- Reading Link: Yan, J. (2011) Branding: Fulfilling a Need: The Journal of Management.
Vol. 18(9), pp. 688-696.
- Reading Link:Dacko, S.G. (2008) The Advanced Dictionary of Marketing. Putting Theory to Use.
Oxford: Oxford University Press. (see pp.334-335 Marketing Mix).
- Audio Recording: Marketing concept in an organsiation and creating a social media marketing strategy
Week 2: Marketing Plan and SWOT analysis
- PowerPoint:Marketing plan and SWOT Analysis
- Notes: Marketing Plan Notes and SWOT analysis Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Marketing Plan seminar tasks andSWOT Analysis task
- Reading Link: McDonald, M. & Wilson, H. (2016) Marketing Plans: How to Prepare them. How to use them. Chichester, John Wiley and Sons. (see pp.46-50)
- Audio Recording: Marketing plan and swot analysis
Week 1: Marketing Defined/Social Media
- PowerPoint: Marketing Defined/Social Media
- Notes: Marketing defined notes and Social media and marketing Notes
- Seminar Tasks:Week 1 Corporate Social Responsibility
- Reading Link: Rogers, S. and Thorson, E. (2017) Digital Advertising Theory and Research. Abingdon, Routledge. (see pp.37-39).
- Audio Recording:Marketing definitions and week-1-social-media-marketing