Here you will find pdf versions of Weekly Power Points/Notes/Recordings/Seminar complete Module Outline Module guide MECS3016 for 2017 to 2018 For Assignment 1 Example please see Blackboard.
Week 12: Media audiences/theories & Social Media
- PowerPoint: Audience theories & Social Media
- Notes: Media users responses and associated theories Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Audience theories & Social Media
- Reading Link: Sundar, S. S. and Limperos, A. M. (2013) Uses and Grats 2.0: New Gratifications for New Media. Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media. Vol. 57(4), p. 504-525. (see the diagram on page 508 and questions on page 518-520).
- Audio Recording: Media users and audiences theories for social media
Week 11: Applying Goffman to Social Media
- PowerPoint: Applying Goffman and Castellls to social media
- Notes: Goffman , Castells and theorectical concerns notes
- Seminar Tasks: Goffman and social media
- Reading Link: Richey, M, Ravishankar, M.N. and Coupland, C. (2016) Exploring situationally inappropriate social media posts. An impression management perspective. Information Technology and People. Vol. 29(3), pp. 597-617. (see pages 599-600).
- Audio Recording: Goffman and Castells and social media
Week 10: Digital Public Sphere/Echo Chambers
- PowerPoint: Online participation and democracy
- Notes: Media and the digital public sphere Notes
- Seminar Tasks: public sphere, echo chambers and social media
- Reading Links: Jackson, J. (2017) Twitter accounts really are echo chambers, Study Finds. The Guardian. [Online], available at:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/04/twitter-accounts-really-are-echo-chambers-study-finds [Accessed 6th November 2017].
- Reading link: Barker, C. (2004) The Sage Dictionary of Cultural Studies, London, Sage. (see Public Sphere)
- Audio Recording: Public sphere, echo chambers and social digital media
Week 9: Fan cultures and digital cultures
- PowerPoint: Fan culture and digital media
- Notes: Fan cultures and digital media Notes
- Seminar Tasks: 9 Fan cultures and digital cultures
- Reading Link: Fuchs, C. (2017) Social Media. A Critical Introduction. London, Sage. pages 72-73 are being digitised.
- Audio Recording: Fan cultures and digital media
Week 8: Facebook, surveillance and power
- PowerPoint: Facebook, Surveillance and Power
- Notes: Facebook, surveillance and power Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Facebook and Surveillance
- Reading Link: Rushkoff, D. (2013) Why I’m quitting Facebook. CNN. February 25th, 2013, Available at: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/25/opinion/rushkoff-why-im-quitting-facebook/index.html [Accessed 30th October 2017]
- Audio Recording: Facebook power and surveillance
Week 7: Baudrillard, hyperreality and social media
- PowerPoint: Baudrillard, hyperreality & social media
- Notes: Baudrillard and social media Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Baudrillard, hyperreality & Social media seminar
- Reading Link: Hodkinson, P. (2017) Media, Culture and Society, London, Sage. (pp. 268-270). These pages are digitised.
- Audio Recording:Baudrillard Hyperreality & Social Media
Week 6: Worcester Week
Week 5: Marketing Plan
- PowerPoint: Marketing plan
- Notes: Marketing plan Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Seminar Marketing Plan Layout
- Reading Link:McDonald, M. and Wilson, H. (2011) Marketing Plans: How to Prepare them, How to use them. Chichester, John Wiley and Sons (see page 49)
- Audio Recording: Marketing plan
Week 4: Marketing theories and market segmentation
- PowerPoint Marketing Theories: Week 4 Marketing theories for social media and Market segmentation
- Brief Notes: Marketing theories for social media and Market segmentation
- Seminar Tasks: Analytics and marketing theories
- Reading Link: Dacko, S. (2008) Advanced Dictionary of Marketing. Oxford, Oxford University Press – see pages 497 (Stealth Marketing),p.498 STP Marketing and p.318 Marketing
- Other Reading: Kim, C.M. (2016) Social Media Campaigns. Oxon Routledge, pp. 154-163.
- Audio Recording: Social-marketing-theories-swot-analysis and Market segmentation
Week 3: Marketing Strategies (Pricing) and Branding
- PowerPoint: Marketing strategy (pricing and branding)
- Brief Notes: Marketing Strategy and Branding Notes
- Seminar Tasks: Creativity and storytelling
- Link to Reading: Yan, J. (2011) Social Media in Branding: Fulfilling a Need. The Journal of Management. Vol. 18(9), pp. 688-696.
- Audio Recording: Marketing Strategies – Pricing and branding
Week 2: SWOT analysis Information
Week 2: Introducing Marketing Theories/Ideas
- PowerPoint: Marketing theories
- Notes: Marketing Theories NOTES
- Seminar Tasks: SWOT Analysis task
- Audio: week-2-social-marketing-theories
- Link to Reading: Kim, C.M. (2016) Social Media Campaigns. London, Routlege (see especially pages 48-50 SWOT analysis).
Week 1: Introducing Social Media/Marketing
- Power Point:MECS3016 Commercial Uses of Social Media
- Notes: Week 1 Social media and marketing Notes
- Audio: Week 1 Social Media Marketing
- Link to Reading: Rodgers, S. and Thorson, E. (2017) Digital Advertising, London, Routledge. (See pages 37-39). (You need your UW login)